Wednesday, June 23, 2010

greta writes

greta told me she was going to write some letters today. she would write a random shape (or it seemed random) on the magna doodle and then either she or i would comment what letter it looked like. she drew many many O's...and a few other letters as well. i couldn't tell if it was actually random or if she was trying to form letters. and then she said, "i'm going to write my name" and she wrote these two shapes. then she said, "i wrote a G and a T. do you see my G and my T?" i was so shocked....it was pretty amazing. she was SO proud! i took the video below after the initial moments, so i am still so excited (as you can tell by the pitch of my voice, sorry) and she has sort of moved on. but still....
in the class i am teaching this summer we have talked about encouraging children to view themselves as writers, and i think i experienced it first hand today.

No comments: