Monday, March 26, 2007

AlternaDad - Baby Showers

So, the idea of a 'couples' wedding shower was something I put my foot down on. I figure sure, it's 'our' wedding, but that doesn't mean you have to torture your husband. In reality, I've been to several couples wedding showers since then, and what it boils down to is that you're invited, but the women there don't really want you there. They are going to play there games, and chat and whatever else, and the role of the men there is to make sure not to get in the way or screw anything up.... so why invite them, I say Play golf.

So, baby showers are perhaps a little bit less offensive. It is our baby. And having a baby means doing a whole lot that you otherwise wouldn't enjoy. It's a lot of cleaning up poop, and being spit on. But it's all worth it. Still, the 'shower' is still female centric, and it's really about toting over pregnant mom. Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't really understand why they want Dad there.

Anyway, from Neal Pollack's book he relays a story about a wedding shower he went to thrown by his wife's family.

"She opened her presents, which were pretty normal: Baby monitors, onesies..... . I overreacted to each one, burying my face in my hands, or raising my arms to the sky, subtly indicating to everyone that I found the gifts tacky.... The church ladies were not amused".

I hope I don't come across as unappreciative of the things that can/will be given to Melanie and I. It's not that at all. What I am trying to say is that, I won't be impressed. I am not impressed with 'stuff' in my own life, I'm not going to do a cartwheel over a new shirt. So it seems to me that showing now emotion is a bad idea, showing overexaggerated emotion is a bad idea, so why not make it easier on everyone involved and let the guys go play golf?

1 comment:

melaniejvc said...

i am in total agreement with joe on the ridiculousness of couples wedding showers. not too many men (i'm being honest here) want to "ooh" and "aah" over towels and blenders. but a baby is a different story. i want joe to be at our baby shower, but i also think it would be fun for our other guys friends to be there too. we'll see how this ends up....