Saturday, July 12, 2008

uncle john's going away picnic

















as some of you know, my brother is in the ARMY and is getting ready to head off to iraq for a second tour of duty. we had a going away picnic for him, and it was just an incredible day. there were so many people from all sides of our family there. buckleys, tumblisons, nestheides....you name it, they were there. it was pretty amazing to see everyone together, enjoying each others' company and showing support for our brave soldier.






no matter how you feel about politics or the war or any of that stuff, this is my brother. my mom's son. jessica's husband. roman's daddy. so, for the next year while he is gone, please keep him (and his family) in your thoughts and prayers. now that i have a child, it just breaks my heart to think of john being away from his boys for a year. but he will be back. he is brave, and we are so proud.
and john let told us at the party that when he comes home, there will be another party just like this one. except there will be more beer!! greta will miss her uncle john, but she will definitely keep roman, shamus, and marissa company until he gets back.































3 comments:

Jessica said...

"no matter how you feel about politics or the war or any of that stuff, this is my brother. my mom's son. jessica's husband. roman's daddy. so, for the next year while he is gone, please keep him (and his family) in your thoughts and prayers."
Thank you for this part. Too often people get so wrapped up in their political views and how they feel about the war that they forget that these soldiers are people too.

Unknown said...

Melanie,
I had no idea your brother was going back. He will definately be in our thoughts and prayers. Your entire family will be.
I know this has got to be super hard on everyone involved. I am glad he was able to have a happy send-off.

SSG Buckley said...

Thank you Mel, for everything you have done. I know my path requires me to lean on people from time to time and I am blessed to have you as one of those people.