Sunday, April 22, 2007

AlternaDad - Cool Kids Go to Music Festivals

Pretty funny chapter about Neal Pollack taking his wife and kids to Austin City Limits Music Festival in 2004. Melanie and I were actually at this festival (with a couple hundred thousand other people). Zilker Park is just across the Colorado River (aka Town Lake) from downtown Austin, and it's a HUGE park with virtually no tree coverage. It's late September in Austin and it's 'supposed' to be pretty nice... around 80 degrees. Well this year it was about 110. So it was pretty dang miserable to be there. Well, it was even more so for a two year old that was hot and grumpy....

I fully expect to have music and festivals be part of our childs youth experience, so it was interesting reading this. Perhaps a big music festival like this is not the best way to go, and going to things like "Tunes and Blooms", "Earth Day" and other such day time, family-friendly events is the better way to go. These types of events are easily accessible, but perhaps more importantly they are easy to leave.

One funny part that relates pretty directly to Melanie and I was Neal Pollack's comment when his wife asked if he wanted to go see Patty Griffin.... his response, "Nah, you go ahead, I'll watch Elijah, I'd rather chew my own arm off than see Patty Griffin"... I couldn't agree more :)

No comments: