Tuesday, April 24, 2007

New Favorite Website - DadLabs.com

Similar to weddings these days, the 'baby industry' is not really set up for men. Sure, there's a little more involvement required (aka birthing classes and the like) than with the wedding, but most everything out there (magazines, websites, books, doctors, etc) is setup to support the Mom. Okay, I realize this makes some sense, after all Melanie is the one carrying the baby for 9 months, while I continue to go to ballgames and drink beer.

But still, there should be some love for the dads in all this, don't you think? And it should be more than just the addendum at the end of articles that typically says something like, "oh, and dad's be aware that this is an emotional time for mom, support her." Okay I get that... but there is something else to being a Dad, right?

So... I stumbled on DadLabs.com. It's a great site focused on dad, that is funny and informative. It's still focused mostly on what to expect after the baby arrives, but it's good fun.

It has everything from 'how to make a birth video' (click the baby on the left, and don't worry, this is not your 6th grade sex education class, there is nothing graphic)... But one word of caution for the other hormone-imbalanced pregnant women out there, I tested this on Melanie and even though you have no idea who the mom is in the video, it may still bring you to tears, apparently.

But there is also fun stuff like the following, click and enjoy:

1 comment:

John said...

Oh yeah Dad’s get left out in the cold for most of the pregnancy stuff. We are left with trying to give input on strollers or cribs when we know nothing we say really matters. I try in my few at-bats as a father of the baby to offer my support, its not enough. I try to help out, I do it wrong. But I don’t think we are supposed to do it right. We have no idea what they are going through. I think my saving grace and where I put my energy is making sure all is ready, including me, for when the baby comes. The dad books that they have out are just detailing ways to help mom. I say Dad’s be ready to take control when baby comes. Be willing to get up in the night if even for support or to find the wipes when its dark. Be the one that notices that the bottles need to be washed and put away. Notice that she was up all night and needs a nap even though the baby is still awake. Be on guard against expecting her to bounce back to doing things her old way. That is where a father should focus his efforts.
Make bath time daddy time. I love it I hate missing bath time. Your child may love or hate the water but it’s the one time you can hold on to them and perform a task that they cannot. You the dad can do something that is needed and it doesn’t smell awful. Feeding is of course the mom’s thing. We dads only get a shot if formula is used and most of the time mom is the one home so she gets that time. I say bath time and night time. Be the dad she tells her friends about. Make other women jealous that you are such a good provider your wife is treated like a princess.
I am not saying its easy. By any means its very hard, but its worth it. Trust me I have a toddler that runs to the door when I come home and love to wrestle with me. I took the time and it pays off ten fold.