Friday, June 29, 2007

Montessori in the home

so i started classes this week. i am working on my Masters in Montessori at Xavier, and i have classes all day, everyday for 4 weeks straight in the summers. it's a pretty fun, relaxing, EASY way to get my Masters. at least so far. we'll see if i am still singing the same tune when i am working on my research project while caring for a newborn.

anyway, one of the classes i am taking right now is called Full Day Child Care. we are talking a lot about childcare centers and how they meet (or don't meet) children's needs. we have also been talking a lot about the Montessori method and how to bring this approach to infants and toddlers, in childcare settings but also in the home. we've talked a lot about how one of the main "jobs" of an infant is to move, and about whether or not things like bouncers, swings, exersaucers, walkers, etc are too restricting. watching children lay on the floor and kick and move and roll and all that stuff looks way more fun than sitting in a bouncer, if you ask me. our teacher was talking about how much more relaxed children look when they are free to move, and it's really true.

i feel like having knowledge of the Montessori philosophy is going to open up so many possibilities for me as a parent and also for my child. i am not saying that i am not going to have an exersaucer. i have seen how these can be fun for children and also allow parents a break sometimes. but i know that i want to put some thought into it, and not just get one because that's what you are supposed to do.

even though my Bachelor's is in Montessori, i only studied 3-6 year olds. all of this infant and toddler stuff is so new to me, and even more new to joe. i want to try to read about it as much as i can and gain as much knowledge from my classes as i can. who knows.....

another thing i learned about is a floor mattress rather than a crib, but i'll get into that later...

3 comments:

John said...

Well, Congrats on going back to school. When it comes to bouncers and those of the sort, I will say from experience the child will dictate. My son Roman, loved his bouncer. He did get plenty of time to move without restriction but if you find the right device you child can stregthen muscles without a fear of injury, and with out the screaming and crying when they get to tired to keep it up.
I love them but i also know to no use those seats as a play pen to hold the kids.

tierney said...

mel,
as a fellow montessorian and a person who was fortunate enough to take the 0 -3 training before a my own child was born...so much of what is taught is great wisdom. It can definately be extremely hard to live without items to hold your child when you just need a few minutes to yourself, knowing that she is safe and still in the same spot where you left her, but is very possible to live without them. I was lucky to have Josh to support all of the crazy Montessori ideas and so far things have worked out beautifully. No exercauser, no crib (we did, in fact, do the floor bed - call me and I'll tell you more about it), homemade baby food and cloth diapers. If anyone knows me, they will know it can't be that hard if I'm doing it! I encourage you to really challenge what the "norm" is to decide if that is what works for your particular family. Every situation is different and different families need different things! Enjoy your time together!

jprg4evr said...

I'll play Devil's Advocate here.

Most adults use different machines to strengthen different muscle groups whether they are just improving fitness or preparing to compete.

It seems that a machine like an Exersaucer would allow the child to do focused strength training on legs in preparation for walking.