Friday, September 7, 2007

"Om"

so i have been attending a prenatal yoga class with my other pregnant buddies stacy and anna. well, attending might be stretching it a bit. i've gone to 4 or 5 classes during this pregnancy. but let me just say, it's probably the best thing i've done for myself thus far. sure, i eat decently well and drink tons of water. i take my prenatal vitamins and talk to my baby. but the yoga, i'm convinced, is good for both the baby and me.

i'll admit, the first time i went to class and the teacher asked us all to chant "om" at the end of class, i almost laughed out loud. i actually couldn't even bring myself to do it. i just pretended to close my eyes, and then while everyone else was chanting i snuck a peek around the room.

the further along in my pregnancy i get, the better yoga gets. at the beginning of each class, we go around and everyone introduces themselves, says how far along they are, and then shares about any physical aches or pains that have been bothering them. the instructor then tailors the class to work on people's ailments. two classes ago, i shared that i felt like i was running out of room for all my internal organs. :) so that class we did several moves that focused on stretching out and opening up to create more room. and i swear, i left there feeling like i was 6 feet tall.

the other thing i love about it is that there is something very empowering about sitting around a room with a bunch of pregnant women. maybe it's the hormones, but it makes me feel like i am a part of some special group or something. so special, in fact, that i have even started chanting "om" with the group at the end of class. but i still peek around the room.....i can't take it TOO seriously.

No comments: